Thursday, July 19, 2018

A Bad Beginning


Tonight marks 20 days without alcohol.  It’s been pretty easy. So far.

Somehow immersing myself in the sobersphere both seems to help, while at the same time makes me hyper-focused on something that I really would prefer not to focus on.  Not drinking can be No Big Deal.  Unless I obsess over it, as I tend to do with any New Thing that I’m exploring.  And here I am.

I want to tell my story.  I’ll start at the beginning.

I have been using substances to alter my consciousness since I was a teenager. Haven't we all? Started smoking cigarettes at age 12- wanted to look older, the boys I liked smoked, so I forced myself until I didn’t hate it.

I began drinking around middle school.  Just the occasional binge drinking at parties. Or every weekend.  Drinking to get drunk.  Made many bad choices, hook ups, mistakes.  But survived. That’s how we have “fun,” right? 

College.  Enter daily weed smoking and many other recreational drugs. Drinking Wednesday- Saturday.  It was the 90s.  There were raves, parties that lasted days.  I never sought the pills, coke, or shrooms, but took them when they were handed to me.  I didn’t want to be left out.  So many times I had to force the pills down my throat.  My body was screaming at me not to, but I did it anyway.  It wasn’t until almost a decade later that I finally listened to my body and said NEVER AGAIN to the pills and coke.  I never wanted to do it (really), but I didn’t want to be left out even more.  And once I did it, I didn’t ever want to come down.  Smoked packs of cigarettes.  Cracked my molars.

Cigarettes began to disgust me toward the end of college.  I tapered off until I couldn't stand them anymore.  Then, used the scene change of returning home for summer as a break.  Quit.  Had a few late-night-bar-drags, but never went back. Never will.

I smoked weed daily in college.  I had a dealer.  I sought and bought my own.  I craved the release of reality and responsibility.  I remember distinctly wondering why anyone would do anything if they weren’t stoned.  How would anything be any fun?  Wake and bake.  Ready and roll.

My weed habit picked up even more after college.  My emotionally abusive relationship was hard to cope with, so I smoked to get through. (Passive aggression or abusive word, a few hits and I could move on, forget the pain.)  There was always wine and beer, too.  But that wasn’t “bad” - that was normal.  I spent my whole 20s in stoned or in bars. (I also got a masters, so my use was functional, and I didn’t think it was a problem, just a bad habit.)

Slowly, I walked out of my problems.  My hour commute-by-foot gave me the space to imagine a better life.  Once I could conceive of it, it was ready to be.  I left my abusive partner.  I decided I did NOT want to do pills or coke anymore.  I decided I didn’t have to, I could opt out and be left out, and it would be ok.  So I did. I smoked a lot less weed.  I just didn’t care for it so much.  It was from a daily crutch to an occasional recreation activity.

And so I entered my 30s as a drinker.  My first year in my new job was hard.  And I came home each day and drank at least 1-2 bottles of wine each night.  I’d pass out on the couch each night.  At some point I realized what was happening and let up a bit.

I married (a wonderful human).  We bought a house.  We had a kid.  Then another.  I drank to deal with the relentlessness of parenting, the frustration, the boredom, the lack of sleep, to claim Me Time.  Then we had another kid.  And I kept drinking.

It was the only thing for me.  I worked a full time job (outside the house) and then parented three small humans.  It was my reward. My release.  My time to turn off.  It was the balm that soothed my soul for all the ripping and tearing demands of life.

I was pissed.  (Both angry and drunk.)  Alcohol was what I turned to to soothe my savage soul.  To cover my guilt.  To swallow my frustration.  And it didn’t make me a better parent.  But it got me through.

Then, about a year and a half ago, I began to explore myself, and some really interesting things have been revealed.  (To be continued…)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lions and Tigers and Dreams, Oh My!

What is up with these dreams?  They are so vivid, and not entirely relaxing or pleasant. Every night, I feel like my sleep is being distur...